Friday, August 29, 2008

in honor and remembrance of a true dandy lady...

today would be my granny (arnett)'s birthday.

i was already thinkin about her, and then my aunt sent an email that they were making a book of one-liners that we loved about Granny. These were mine:

I sure loved the way Granny got down with a dish towel in hand, or for that matter-- a piano!

I loved the way Granny was a behind-the-scenes lady for the most part. She was happy to do all of the work, and have no credit. She just loved to watch her kids and grandkids play.

I loved the way Granny remembered all important events and celebrated them with a perfect white box tied with red paper ribbon. (This meant her all-to perfect gingersnaps...mine will never be as good!)

I loved the way that Granny did her hair...
(died brown and a perfect curly granny-style fro)

I loved how Granny would shake her head in disapproval if the boys would say something inappropriate. She would kind of grumble, "no..."

I loved how Granny left behind more touched souls and dear friends than even she would ever know.


so sorry for being so sappy and personal lately... but i always think about how many people showed up to her funeral-- it was honestly breathtaking. i knew that not one person in that building wouldn't speak the world of her to this day and i wonder how many other people i know now would leave that kind of legacy... it's a short list.


happy birthday granny!




for more fun "what we love about granny"
from the grandkids feel free to check out the new website a la the aunts:

4 comments:

  1. THanks for this post. You might be my favorite human right now. Granny would have loved it and then shaken her head and said "now Megan you've done too much." Happy Birthday indeed girl. Love you and her to pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this picture of your granny. In this picture I can see every one of her "girls." She sure did leave a beautiful legacy in this world. I thought earlier today that her Great Grandbaby Elder Huber hitting the MTC is a great birthday present for her. This post really added to my thoughts. You're cute. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your granny was amazing. and beautiful - look at her picture. not surprisingly, her posterity is awesome, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for those lovely words of our Granny! I love her and miss her so much. She was one of a kind that is for sure.

    Aunt Peg..if you are reading this, thank you so much for all the hard work that has gone into that website! I love it and look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete